Re: hwclock --adjust in slink

[...]
> > > In any case, there are hw K scripts:
> > > [18:17:27 /tmp]$  ls /etc/rc?.d/*hw*
> > > /etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh  /etc/rc6.d/K25hwclock.sh  /etc/rcS.d/S50hwclock.sh
> > > [18:22:27 /tmp]$
> > >
> > > Note that your system somehow got S instead of K for rc0 and rc6.
> > > I am running unstable.
> >
> > On two different systems running slink I only have the S..hwclock.sh
> > scripts, so I guess this has changed in unstable.  Having the K..
> > scripts run at shutdown would give the symptoms I described, but my
> > system doesn't have them, so I don't understand what is happening.
> > I have version 2.9g-6 of util-linux.

David Wright:
> They run all right. hwclock just precedes the random seed.
>
> So knowing I *had* to find something that runs it, I found:
>
> /usr/doc/sysvinit/README.runlevels.gz
> 5. Halt/reboot
> penultimate paragraph
>
>    Then the /etc/rc6.d/SXXxxxx scripts will be executed alphabetically
>    with "stop" as the first argument as well. The reason is that there
>    is nothing to start anymore at this point - all scripts that are
>    run are ment to bring the system down.
>
> Working out whether and when to run things like hwclock --systohc $GMT
> at reboot is something I've always meant to look at on a rainy
> afternoon. The trouble is, it's never rained enough!

There I am, the rain in your life :)  Great you found it.  And it's a
good thing to know they decided to call them K..hwclock.sh in potato
anyway, for simple people like me that had the impression they understood
how sysvinit works.  Anyway, I think I am going to get rid of the links
in rc0.d and rc6.d.  They seem inappropriate for a system that is not up
24 hours a day.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)