Re: Booting kernel with 4 mb ram

Thomas Ditlev Petersen <33tdp@but.auc.dk> writes:

> I would like to install debian-linux to my old notebook 486slc with 4 MB
> ram.
> For this pupose I have downloaded the low memory bootdisk, which should
> be able to install debian to a 4 MB system. But when I use the disk, the
> bootprompt appears as it should, but as I boot linux, the computer
> reboots just after decompressing the kernel, and the disk boots again.
> No messages pop up before the reboot.
>
>  I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is, and I have tried
> several different configurations in the BIOS.
>
> Has anyone got any idea, why my computer will not boot linux.

Download one of the micro distributions and boot from them.
If they show the same problem, you will have to build a kernel.

Jens

P.S.: Please vote against Spam! At
             http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/
(Sorry Europeans only)
---
Jens.Ritter@weh.rwth-aachen.de   grimaldi@debian.org
Key ID: 2048/E451C639 Jens Ritter
Key fingerprint: 5F 3D 43 1E 24 1E CC 48  1E 05 93 3A A7 10 73 37