Re: hwclock --adjust in slink

> I did not fully understand you. Does or doesn't the BIOS get the right time
> after the system is shutdown?

The following happens:

I boot, find the time is lagging behind, and then do a

hwclock --set --date ...

This sets the BIOS clock (not the system time), as I can verify with

hwclock --show

>From the hwclock manual page I gather it is not adviced to run hwclock
--hctosys on a running system, although I did it once and it worked
(X11 went black for a few seconds, but it returned).  I know that the
hwclock.sh should adjust the clock and copy the BIOS clock to system
time at boot time (the S..hwclock.sh script) so I reboot.  If I reboot
to windows98 first, I found that the time was NOT correct, and the BIOS
clock was lagging just as much as it had been _before_ I set it with
hwclock --set...  My conclusion is that there must have been some
process that did a `hwclock --systohc' during shutdown, but I cannot
find any that does this in the /etc/rc?.d directories.

> In any case, there are hw K scripts:
> [18:17:27 /tmp]$  ls /etc/rc?.d/*hw*
> /etc/rc0.d/K25hwclock.sh  /etc/rc6.d/K25hwclock.sh  /etc/rcS.d/S50hwclock.sh
> [18:22:27 /tmp]$
>
> Note that your system somehow got S instead of K for rc0 and rc6.
> I am running unstable.

On two different systems running slink I only have the S..hwclock.sh
scripts, so I guess this has changed in unstable.  Having the K..
scripts run at shutdown would give the symptoms I described, but my
system doesn't have them, so I don't understand what is happening.
I have version 2.9g-6 of util-linux.

Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)