Re: cd-rw's

I know some people don't want to compile a kernel. They just want to be
able to use the cd recorder.

There are some packaged kernels at ftp.greenbush.com for ide cd writing.
The 2.2.13 was recently built mainly because I needed to write files from
an NTFS(ugh) partition to CD-RW after NT crashed and burned(again). The
2.0.36 one has been used without problem for CD recording stations. Note
that these are put on non-reachable IP addresses like 192.168.1.x so I
don't know/care about security issues with a particular version. I suggest
making a boot floppy to test any kernel. The rest of the stuff on this ftp
site is getting updated this week and was mostly generated for in-house
and client needs. Some of it needs fixing.

Both of these kernels are built for 386 and up.

What I usually do is:

1) install the kernel-image and reboot(from the floppy)
2) install cdrecord and do a cdrecord -scanbus to make sure scsi emulation
is working okay
3) test cdrecord eject and erase functions
4) create a small iso image and write it to CD-RW
5) compare the files on CD-RW to the originals

If all that works I then proceed to use it for full length CD-R and CD-RW
generation. I have done a few music CD's just for grins and it worked fine
for that, too.

+ Paul Wade                         Greenbush Technologies Corporation +
+ mailto:paulwade@greenbush.com              http://www.greenbush.com/ +