Re: How to auto-login

On 16/1/2000 Fish Smith wrote:

I'm running a machine for the lab at school and I want
it to automatically login to a default user account.
(i.e. instead of asking for login and password, it
assumes login is "user", user account having null
password)  How do I do this?  The only accounts on the
machine being root and user.  (Pardoning my grammar
=])  I will only need to login as root via su.  I will
have startx in the profile so that it will bring up
the GUI automagically when powered on.

sounds like a better option would be to install wdm and use its autologin feature, it lets you specify a user and password to automatically login as.

Ethan