How to auto-login

I'm running a machine for the lab at school and I want
it to automatically login to a default user account.
(i.e. instead of asking for login and password, it
assumes login is "user", user account having null
password)  How do I do this?  The only accounts on the
machine being root and user.  (Pardoning my grammar
=])  I will only need to login as root via su.  I will
have startx in the profile so that it will bring up
the GUI automagically when powered on.

=====
Fish of Borg
Visit me on the web!  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Frontier/4874/stccg.html
///Archaeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what appears to be a missing page from the Bible.  The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn.  If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my Darling Candy.  All Characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is entirely coincidental."///Red Dwarf