Re: slink to potato?

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 01:56:51PM -0800, Michael Perry wrote:
> I just got dsl here so have a system I would like to take from slink to
> potato using the apt-get install dist-upgrade.  Has anyone done this
> recently?  Any issues?  Also would just like to say thanks to everyone that
> develops for Debian and to the mailing list for all the great advice!

The commands are:
apt-get update //this gets the newest Packages files
apt-get dist-upgrade //this does the upgrade - note no install word
                     //install is used with individual packages as in
                     //apt-get install foo
I did this recently on the machine I'm using right now.  I *wish* I'd had
DSL - I did it over a 33.6 dial-up.  The only issues I had were:
1) a broken debconf that has since been fixed
2) sometimes after having the connection drop when I reconnected I wound
   up at a mirror site that wasn't up to date.  I solved that by changing
   my /etc/sources.list to point at the primary Debian FTP site.  It was
   slower but it worked.
3) ncurses was a PITA.  The upgrade had the symlinks completely hosed.  The
   fix was to purge the ncurses packages in reverse numerical order, then
   reinstall them in numerical order.  I really don't know if that was just
   an artifact of something I did or if the package was actually to blame,
   but it was actually not too bad to fix.

Those are the only things that stuck out in my mind.  If it sounds like I'm
complaining about them I'm not - a lot of things I've had to go through with
Win95 made going from Slink to Potato seem like an absolute breeze!  Sure
there were a few bobbles, but really they weren't that bad.  And the
performance gains in WindowMaker/XWindows were *well* worth the download.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD           |  "Where do you want to go today?"
ICQ# 12934898                 |  "As far from Redmond as possible!"