Re: x11

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 12:56:18PM +1000, mike ber wrote:

> I just installed x11 using dselect. When I type in xdm it just skips
> onto the next line without giving an error message or any other
> information. Does antbody know what I could had missed or what's
> wrong.

Well, it used to say something like "Only root can do that" if you tried
to do this as a normal user.  Anyway, the proper ways to start X are:

As a normal user:
	$ startx

To run xdm, as root:
	$ /etc/init.d/xdm start

Normally, xdm is started at boot.  There should be symlinks in
/etc/rcN.d to /etc/init.d/xdm like S99xdm, and K99xdm (runlevels 1,6).

If the above doesn't work than something's not configured properly.  It
may be a permissions (Xauth) problem.
| Eric G. Miller                        egm2@jps.net |
| GnuPG public key: http://www.jps.net/egm2/gpg.asc  |