Message: Mailbox is used by another process...

I have slink with exim (2.05-2) and imap (4.5-0slink3) installed. After
upgrading the latestslink updates pine - which I use reading my mail -
have started to tell me that "Inbox is in use by another process, access
is read-only". This means that all my mail stays as 'new' all the time and
my inbox is filling quickly!  Similarly, win95 clients connected to my
linux box see all mail continuously as new although some of it has been
read and replied.
Any ideas what is the reason?

Kari Ruohonen