Re: ncurses-base obsolete, but essential

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 08:20:33PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > There is a way to obsolete essential packages. Dpkg itself already handles
> > this. If you install an essential package that conflicts with an already
> > installed essential package, that package will be removed without any sort
> > of --force options. This is on purpose, and was designed for just this
> > purpose.
>
> This doesn't entirely work completly. The problem is that if you have two
> essential packages but can only install one, how do you select which one
> to install? APT has to make this decision and it is a not an easy problem,
> it often doesn't get it right either. [It is possible, that is why we have
> the release files now...]
>
> You should be really really carefull with what you do with essential
> packages, bo->hamm was a real mess but since then we have been getting
> better. I'd recommend just not getting rid of ncurses-base <shrug>

Well, if the one being conflicted with is "obsolete", is it safe to say,
that is the one to remove? If there are two essential packages that exist
in Packages.gz in a conflicting state, then there is a problem that
neither apt, nor dpkg can handle.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '