Re: debian-user-digest Digest V100 #79

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 01:48:29AM -0800, Guyren G Howe wrote
> This does nothing. I execute chmod 700 .xsession, and nothing happens. I
> just get the command prompt back.

Most probably the exec failed, perhaps because afterstep
isn't in your path or because it crashed.

Type
$ which afterstep
to verify that you have afterstep and where it is installed,
and use the full path instead of just 'afterstep'.

If it still doesn't work, look for a file in your
home directory called .xsession-errors and see if
that contains any error messages that may shed light
on things.

> Besides, shouldn't this tie into startx somehow?

startx checks for and runs the user's .xsession if it is present.

John P.
--
huiac@camtech.net.au
john@huiac.apana.org.au