RE: [Off-Topic] Pentium Motherboard

> From: AU,SCOTT CHUONG [mailto:sau@ucla.edu]

  <snip>

> 1. It seems there's a VGA controller built into the
> motherboard with an
> accompanying serial cable to attach to a monitor.  Does
> this mean I no
> longer need a video card like in older 486/386 models?

	If there's a port to attach it, then yes, you should be okay.  Some
manufacturers lower their manufacturing costs by putting the video
circuitry right on the motherboard.

> 2. All memory was stripped (except for what I believe is a
> lithium CMOS
> battery).  When I tried turning it on, there's no startup seen on my
> monitor.  Am I correct in assuming I need some memory for
> the BIOS to
> load?  Or is this related to Question 1 (ie I need to
> purchase a video
> card).

	IIRC, Pentium Pro motherboards do not have 640KB conventional
on-board, which means that you'll need to invest in some RAM for it
before you'll be able to see anything.

> 3. Looking at the ports, I noticed some 8 bit slots (no
> Vesa Local Bus
> slots though) and some shorter ports I did not recognize.
> Are these PCI
> ports?

	Hrm...  PCI slots are (usually) white, have their connectors packed
in tightly, and are set further away from the back of the board.

> 4. Additionally, there appears to a Com Port controller
> built into the
> motherboard (like the Video question above).  Is this also
> a trend to
> integrate serial card controllers into the motherboard now?

	Yes, lately UART's have been integrated into motherboard designs.

Hope this helps you,

Simon.