Re: [Off-Topic] Pentium Motherboard

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, AU,SCOTT CHUONG wrote:

> 1. It seems there's a VGA controller built into the motherboard with an
> accompanying serial cable to attach to a monitor.  Does this mean I no
> longer need a video card like in older 486/386 models?

Probably, yes.  However, you may have to set jumpers to enable or disable
the onboard video controller.  Onboard video controllers are also
frequently very low performance.  If you have trouble with your system you
might try installing an ISA based video card if you suspect the onboard
controller is disabled or not functioning.

> 2. All memory was stripped (except for what I believe is a lithium CMOS
> battery).  When I tried turning it on, there's no startup seen on my
> monitor.  Am I correct in assuming I need some memory for the BIOS to

Right.  Put in some appropriate RAM first.  Pentiums usually require SIMMs
to be installed in pairs (or even groups of four) and you must also pay
attention that all SIMMs are the same speed.  A system with no RAM should
still beep, though it won't boot.

> 3. Looking at the ports, I noticed some 8 bit slots (no Vesa Local Bus
> slots though) and some shorter ports I did not recognize.  Are these PCI
> ports?

Most likely.  PCI bus slots are a little smaller than 16-bit ISA slots.
Usually they're white and they are farther away from the edge of the case;
typically one will be very close to one of the ISA slots.

Be glad you don't have Vesa slots.  Vesa slots work well only with 486 and
cause no end of trouble on pentium motherboards.  PCI is much faster
anyway.

> 4. Additionally, there appears to a Com Port controller built into the
> motherboard (like the Video question above).  Is this also a trend to
> integrate serial card controllers into the motherboard now?

You really are used to obsolete technology, aren't you. :}  All
motherboards now have serial ports built in.  Even the majority of 486
motherboards have onboard serial ports.  But onboard video isn't really a
trend any more, it doesn't save any appreciable cost and nobody liked the
onboard controllers.