Re: KDE stuff under other desktops (and desktop recommendations)

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, aphro wrote:
<...>
> guyren >And I cannot, for the life of me, work out where to find all the little KDE
> guyren >things I was using.
>
> if your talking about the KDE apps in the "K" menu, view the properties of
> the entries in the K menu, they are usually stored in
> /usr/share/kde/applnk corel may have it somewhere else though.

That dir leads to *.kdelnk files, does afterstep understand them?
You will probably need to start the progs you want from a term window.

> guyren >So: how do I go about getting them to run under Afterstep.
>
> if your runnig corel chances are you probably have to make your own
> menu. debian's packages come with a script that automatically adds them to
> the default menus of all the window managers.
>
> guyren >And also, I was hoping that those who have tried a bunch of different
> guyren >desktops would summarise why you settled on the desktop you prefer.
> guyren >Advantages and disadvantages of the varoius desktops you've tried.
<....>

> afterstep - my desktop of choice, the window management in afterstep is
> incredible, i love how it behaves, you can drag windows behind other
> windows without bringing them foreward, you can drag windows to other
> desktops, you can instantly send a window to another desktop, you can
> minimize to the title bar(like the mac, never thought id use that feature

Double click on the title bar to achieve this with KDE, if it doesn't
work then snoop around the KDE Control Center to find where to enable
the behaviour (they call it "shading").

> when i saw it on the mac but i use it often now) and its VERY stable, im
> running the latest stable distribution of it(self compiled) the dock is
> great too lots of useful system monitoring utilities.  i really didn't
> like how KDE handled multiple desktops, e.g. when you move the mouse to
> the edge of the screen it ends up on the edge of the next screen, causing
> (me at least) to be switching 3-4 desktops before i see whats going on,

This bit is configurable in KDE, you must have had "electric borders"(?)
turned on with a really small delay.

> there is an option to center the cursor when the desktop changes but that
> throws me off for a second too.

KDE handles all this stuff you say afterset does (maybe not the first
one you mentioned, but then I've never turned off the auto-raise
option and tried it).

I'd say that look'n'feel has more to do with ones wm preferences than
features (as long as it does what you need, of course).

- Bruce