Re: X windows...

seems you missed the critical part of your hardware, the VIDEO
CARD.  Please specify the chipset the videocard uses if possible, the
amount of memory on it, and also it cant hurt to specify the montior.

if the machine has a network connection you can add:

deb http://www.debian.org/~vincent/ xfree-update main

to /etc/apt/sources.list

then run apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade

or download/install the packages manually from

http://www.debian.org/~vincent/dists/xfree-update/main/binary-i386/

I would mail the list and/or check www.xfree86.org for grpahics card
compadiblity (if its a new card) before going through the trouble of
trying to configure X.  XF86 3.3.6 recently came out, but i dont think
there are debs of it yet.

nate