Re: Leafnode - basic question

Anthony Campbell said:
> But how do you get a news reader (slrn, tin) to read just those you have
> chosen to get news from? With "slrn -h localhost" I am confronted with
> the whole 25,500, and I don't know how to get tin to read the list at
> all.

In slrn, you can use L (slrn commands _are_ case-sensitive!) to specify a
wildcard pattern for unsubscribed groups to display, e.g., comp*linux*

I don't know tin, but any commands referring to '.newsrc' are likely to help
here.

Once the groups are displayed, you have to go into each group that you
subscribe to and read leafnode's dummy message in the group so that leafnode
knows to add it to the 'interesting' list.

> Also: if you change your mind about a group, how do you tell leafnode to
> stop accessing it? It seems to have a mind of its own.

In the leafnode example config file:

## timeout_short determines how many days fetch gets a newsgroup which
## has been accidentally opened. The default is two days.
# timeout_short = 1

## timeout_long determines how many days fetch will wait before not getting
## an unread newsgroup any more. The default is seven days.
# timeout_long = 14

So, by default, a group will stop being fetched after 2 days if you never
touch it again after reading the dummy message, or after a week otherwise.

(You can override this, though, by manually deleting the file with the
group's name from /var/spool/news/interesting.groups.)

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+