Re: first time install

first of all, specify what you are doing to install it, exactly. it sounds
like you are trying to ftp the distribution package-by-package from a
distro site to install this is NOT the way to do it, there is a 99.9%
chance it will get screwed up somewhere. i did it on my first install and
spent 3 days fixing it(luckily i was a rather experienced and patient).  I
suggest if you have access to a CDR, download the ISO
(http:///cdimage.debian.org) or, download the base disks, there are 7 of
them i beleive, and the boot/drivers disk and run an ftp install provided
you can get the NIC working during the inital base install. and provided
you have fast net access.  If that doesnt work, order a CD, i suggest you
get the Learning Debian GNU/Linux from O'Reilly for aobut $40 includes a
great book and CD.  Or go to www.linuxmall.com and get a CD for $2 or
something ..

and btw, symlinks are like a shortcut in win9x/NT and like an alias on a
mac but much MUCH more powerful/flexible/integrated then at least a
shortcut is on win9x/NT(not sure aobut mac.

nate