Re: ncurses-base obsolete, but essential

haphazard@socket.net (Gregory T. Norris) wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 12:33:25PM -0700, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>> After a recent upgrade of potato packages, ncurses-base 4.2-3.4 shows
>> up as obsolete (no longer listed in Packages). However it is tagged as
>> "essential" which prevents dpkg from removing it in the normal fashion.
>> Should I force the removal?
>
>I did "dpkg --purge --force-remove-essential ncurses-base".  All seems
>to be well!

I must say, I love what apt does in these circumstances:

WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  ncurses-base
[...]
You are about to do something potentially harmful
To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
 ?]

--
Colin Watson                                           [cjw44@cam.ac.uk]