Re: Hint: Finding packages with needed files

--- Howard Mann <howardm@xmission.com> wrote:

> > There's a simple solution to that kind of problems. There's a file called
> > Contents-i386.gz in the dists/<your dist> directory. It lists every
> > single file with the package that contains it.
> >
> > So a 'zgrep "file I need" Contents-i386.gz' gives you the package(s) you
> > have to install.
>
> I am unable to find this file on my system. I have Slink.
>
> Would you describe its location in more detail.

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/Contents-i386.gz

Of course, you should use your local mirror and dist :)

It's probably best to re-download the file from time to time. (And the slink
one seems to be a bit outdated, don't know how often it gets updated)

Michel

=====
"Software is like sex; it's better when it's free"
 -- Linus Torvalds

"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
 -- Windows 95 BSOD