Re: portmap question

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Mark Wagnon wrote:

> It seems to be still in the netbase package. I can't find a separate
> portmap package. Hmmm. Maybe I misunderstood you. Yeah, there are
> different scripts that separate the networking stuff, but the
> portmap binary still comes packaged in the netbase deb.

Yep, sorry I wasn't too clear on that.  I just meant that the scripts are
split out, so instead of having to clutter up your netbase script with
comments you can keep it clean and just do something with your portmap
script.

> I'll take a look at the portmap script. I thought that the links in
> the rc*.d directories ran the scripts in /etc/init.d at different
> run-levels and that renaming one would stop that script from
> executing. Right? Wrong?

You are right.

Here's how I deal with it, others may have a better way but this works
great for me.  I made a directory /etc/init.d/Disabled and whenever I want
to disable a startup script, well, I just put it in there.  :)  The
"correct" way to do it is to use update-rc.d (with args) to remove the
/etc/rc#.d symlinks, but I don't do it that way because putting the
scripts in a separate directory makes it easier for me to remember what
I've disabled.  I can just look in that dir and see that I've disabled
nfs, sendmail, blah blah blah.  If I want to re-enabled them for
boot-time, I just put them back into /etc/init.d/.