Re: wireless suggestions

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 09:45:04PM -0600, Aaron Solochek wrote:
> A friend and I want to connect our lan's via wireless ethernet and then
> split a DSL.  Our houses are less than 300 ft apart, probably around

i've been using Lucent's WaveLAN products to setup a 'WISP' for a month now,
and even with many oopses, we're doing fine. right now i'm using a wireless
connection with Lucent stuff to get to a leased line 2 miles away, and we
get around 1.5Mbps. Also, i have done some tests with a laptop, walking
around the street near to the wireless POP, and works fine. The WaveLAN is
supported under Linux, so you should be fine.

> 280ft, with line of sight.  We are looking to do this as cheaply as
> possible.  Anyone with any suggestions for methods and/or products

i don't know how much is cheap, but i think these cards are around $150
each, and you need a PCMCIA adaptor (or a laptop), and that's another $100
or so.

Also, there is a similar line from Cabletron, cheaper, but i don't think
their products work under linux, i don't remember.

hope that helps you,

Alberto.

ps. i don't have nothing to do with Lucent, just use their products.