Re: gzipped logs loose format

* "Blazej" == Blazej Sawionek <B.Sawionek@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

Blazej> When I view them with mc using F3 they appear to have lost
Blazej> their format. All end-of-lines are removed and the text is
Blazej> `justified' to approx. 80 columns. This makes the logs very
Blazej> difficult to read and practically useless. When I ungzip the
Blazej> files and view them in the same way (mc - F3) - the effect is
Blazej> the same.

mc does syntax highlighting and preprocessing based on the
filename/extention.

kern.log.1 looks like a manpage for the parser. It pipes the file
through nroff (I think), which formats the text.

File a wishlist grade bug on mc if you like. Don't know if it is
possible to put in an exception to the bahaviuor, but I can check when
I have some time (in an month or so).

Blazej> Is there an easy way to see the gzipped file correctly and
Blazej> quickly?

Put eval $(lesspipe) into /etc/profile or such some, then less will do
on the fly decompression of files.

Ciao,
        Martin