gzipped logs loose format

Old log files get gzipped (/var/log/*.?.gz).
When I view them with mc using F3 they appear to have lost their format. All end-of-lines are removed and the text is `justified' to approx. 80 columns. This makes the logs
very difficult to read and practically useless. When I ungzip the files and view them in the same way (mc - F3) - the effect is the same.
If I edit an uncompressed file with vim, or view it using `Shift-F3' it looks OK.

Is there an easy way to see the gzipped file correctly and quickly?

Blazej

PS
An example: kern.log.1.gz is attached here