Re: ground zero

> "William P. Bergstrom" wrote:
> I need to know the best way to partition my two drives to have a
> debian-win98 machine.
>
> I have a pent 200mmx machine 64 mb RAM  running win 98 on a quantum
> bigfoot 1.2 gig disk (partiontioned to 4 equal logical).
>   = I pationtioned this drive for data-app segregation, and easier
> defragging.  Now Im thinking that splitting the drive in half and
> using
>       FAT32 might be better.=
> I've been interested in Linux and got CD's for Debian and OpenLinux.
>
> I just bought a 13 gig quantum fireball, and want to set up my
> machine/drives to run both (Debian-Win98) OS's.
> I've been bone-ing up on the online installation manual for Debian and
> Hardware HOWTO's.
> Seems  like partitioning disks is critical to the  whole process.  In
> the debian users archive list, I've read about installing win 98 first
> then debian- lilo.
> So----
>  the ground zero newbie question is:  I'm ready to WIPE my 1.2 gig
> drive and install it as the master on my motherboards secondary
> controller and set my CD-Rom as slave. Then install the 13 gig as
> master by itself on the primary controller.
> Then install debian and win98.  (btw 1.2 is dma33 and 13 is udma66,
> Motherboard has dma33 controllers.  )
> What about partions? I know that the linux bootstrap loader has to
> load within the 1st 1024 cylinders, won't win98 fight over this?
> Yes my motherboard will alow me to boot from CD-ROM.  What about my
> thoughts for drive configuration? Help!
> Any and all advice would be greatly apreciated!
> Bill
The first question is --Does your system bios recognize the 13Gb drive
as 13Gb or 8Gb??? If it recognized the full size of the drive you will
have no abnormal problems. If it does not you may need to upgrade the
bios (hope its a flash bios!) Either way, once this requirement is met
decide where, and how much space you want to use for Windows et.al and
send a new message with that info.

BTW I have the EXACT same 13.6Gb disk along with two 3.2Gb drives. I
have Windows98 installed on one of the 3.2Gb Disks /dev/hda1 (C:) :
Debian Gnu/Linux Potato on the other 3.2Gb /dev/hdb1 : and Debian
Gnu/Linux Slink on the 13.6Gb /dev/hdc1 : ATAPI CD-ROM /dev/hdd. So all
of your concerns can be overcome--past the bios :-)
--
AdVance-Computing Systems

We sell fine quality servers and workstations.
We specialize in multiprocessor units.
We install Debian Linux at no extra charge!

John Foster
jfoster@augustmail.com
ICQ# 19460173