Re: [Off Topic] Celeron 366 or 400 MHz, 64+ MB RAM?

k> I'm looking into buying a computer with either a 366 or 400MHz Celeron
k> processor.  It has an L2 cache size of 128 Kb.  I've read somewhere that
k> an L2 cache under something like 512 kb, will slow down your computer if
k> there is more than 64 MB of RAM added.  On the other hand I've read that
k> this isn't a problem for PII processors and above, even if the cache is
k> smaller than 512 kb.  I've searched the archives and looked around on
k> the net and can't nail this one down.  Can I use more than 64 MB with
k> this processor/L2 cache combination?

Yes. The problem you mention was a problem with the external L2
caches on some motherboards. All socket-7 type if I recall correctly.
It is not a problem with any P2/P3 derived processor.

--
               More Important Drivel from:
 Scott Henry <scotty@sgi.com> /\/\/\  http://reality.sgi.com/scotth/