/etc/limits

OK another issue I'm having with setting resource limits.  How can I
restrict a user's max virtual memory usage?  Not sure if anyone else has
seen it, but there's a DoS exploit around (which will actually eat up just
about any *nix box AFAICT, if there are no resource limits in
effect) which eats up virtual memory.

I've noticed that on my friends' slackware 7 and RedHat 6.0 machines, the
default resource limits are basically the same as on my slink box *except*
they have the virtual memory max at 2105343 while the Debian machine is
set to "unlimited."  Yet, I can't figure out how those distros set the
limits.  Is it a compile-time option for /bin/login?

I look in my /etc/limits and see a way to restrict just about all those
resources *except* max virtual memory.  How can I enforce this
restriction?  I know I could use limit in csh and ulimit in bash, but what
about for shells that don't have built-in restrictions?  Is there any way
to do this other than "force everyone to use one of those shells?"