restricting logins on tty1

Hi, I have a question pertaining to /etc/login.access.  I seem to be a
little confused about exactly how this file is read by login.

The format is straightforward and makes sense but I am trying to restrict
tty1 to root logins and I can't seem to get it just right.

Here's what I have so far.  Most of it is what came stock with the distro.

# Restrict tty to root (this is what I'm trying to accomplish):

-:ALL EXCEPT ROOT:tty1

# Disallow remote logins for certain users:

# Disallow console logins to all but a few accounts.
#
-:ALL EXCEPT root <user1> <user2> <user3>:console
#
# Disallow non-local logins to privileged accounts (group wheel).
#
-:root:ALL EXCEPT LOCAL
#
# Some accounts are not allowed to login from anywhere:
#
#-:wsbscaro wsbsecr wsbspac wsbsym wscosor wstaiwde:ALL
#
# All other accounts are allowed to login from anywhere.
#

However, I can still log in as other users on tty1; the restriction
appears to not do anything.  BUT, if I restrict a user directly, like so:

-:<user>:tty1

that user IS prevented from logging in on tty1.

Why does the first method fail?  I should be able to do that, shouldn't I?

One other quickie: what's the functional difference between
/etc/login.access and /etc/security/access.conf?  When I place
restrictions in the latter, nothing seems to happen, though the files are
in exactly the same format.  What then is the purpose of the one in
/etc/security?

Thanks!!