make-kpkg and /vmlinuz

I was getting a bit of a headache trying to get my new kernel to work,
until I realized the following:  I had "image=/vmlinuz" on one line of
my /etc/lilo.conf, but /vmlinuz is a symlink into /boot, which hadn't
been updated to point to the new kernel.

I thought when I built a kernel with make-kpkg and installed the
resulting .deb with dpkg, that either /etc/lilo.conf was updated to see
the new kernel, or the /vmlinuz symlink was updated.  Or am I mistaken?

Thanks,
MG

--
Matt Garman, garman@ews.uiuc.edu