Re: umount - URGENT

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Michael Stenner wrote:

 : On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 05:47:37PM +0100, Blazej Sawionek wrote:
 : > I've just fallen into serious trouble: can not umount my CD-ROM - it
 : > is reported as beeing used.  I'm sure it is not, what may have
 : > happened is that I was examining it's contents with `mc' which died
 : > suddenly.
 :
 : > I desperatly need this CD out _right_now_ so please if anybody knows
 : > the answer - give it ASAP.
 :
 : For future reference...
 :
 : while it's a good habit to demand successful umounts before removing
 : media, remember that it IS a cdROM after all.  You're certainly not
 : going to damage it by just pushing the button and taking the thing
 : out.  Sure the os will complain, but you'll have the disk in your
 : hand.

If the OS does complain, edit /etc/mtab

(Again, this should never be done with rw media!!)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD