Re: umount - URGENT

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 05:47:37PM +0100, Blazej Sawionek wrote:
> I've just fallen into serious trouble: can not umount my CD-ROM - it
> is reported as beeing used.  I'm sure it is not, what may have
> happened is that I was examining it's contents with `mc' which died
> suddenly.

> I desperatly need this CD out _right_now_ so please if anybody knows
> the answer - give it ASAP.

For future reference...

while it's a good habit to demand successful umounts before removing
media, remember that it IS a cdROM after all.  You're certainly not
going to damage it by just pushing the button and taking the thing
out.  Sure the os will complain, but you'll have the disk in your
hand.

(Do not apply this advice to floppies, zip disks, etc.)

				       -Michael

--
  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu