Re: Poor Modem performance

Scott Au wrote:
>After installing and running minicom, I've noticed that my modem, a BOCA
>ISA 28.8 modem is incredibly slow.  Dialing my ISP shows text being received
>with periodic pauses.

>From personal experience one possibility is that serial interrupts are not
being serviced quickly enough, which can be a big problem with older slower
hardware. If too many interrupts are missed then you get serial buffer
overflows, dropped packets and delays as TCP/IP tries to recover.

There are two things you could try, if this is the case. One is to use
irqtune from the hwtools package to boost the serial interrupt priority. The
documentation explains what is going on. The other thing, if you have an IDE
controller, is to unmask interrupts using 'hdparm -u1'. There are dire
warnings attached to that option, so proceed with care.

Frank