Poor Modem performance

After installing and running minicom, I've noticed that my modem, a BOCA
ISA 28.8 modem is incredibly slow.  Dialing my ISP shows text being received
with periodic pauses.

Example:

Welcome to (10 second pause) ISP Name (10 second pause) Username (10
second pause) etc.

I'm running on a old 386-33Mhz with 8megs RAM so is it possible my
hardware isn't fast enough for linux communications programs or have I
misconfigured my serial port?  Using setserial, I've configured ttyS2
(port where modem resides) at 115200 with the svhi flag.  I've also
changed minicom's settings to 115200 etc. with the fastest settings
possible.

The modem ran fine under MS-DOS using Qmodem.

Thanks in advance,
Scott Au
sau@ucla.edu