X problems HELPPPP

I am having terrible troubles with X in Debian, and
worse, I can't escape from the X server so that I
can get into the command line and fix things.
When I boot up, linux goes straight into a graphic log-in
 screen that is too large for my 17-inch monitor.
When I log in, I get a blank, green screen with no
 icons. I try every possible combination of key strokes, but nothing happens
although I can hear something going on my hard drive.
When I try alt-control-backspace, nothing happens.
 I am forced to reboot.
Since I can't get to the command line,  I can't
get into things and change whatever mess I have made.
 I configured Xfree86 for a voodoo3 2000 card. This is the
the first time I tried setting up X in Debian. This is
slink, the version that comes with the Oreilly book.
Please help, steve w