Re: man -k doesn't work

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Brian Stults wrote:

> Ethan Benson wrote:
> > the mandb cron job has not been run yet, i think its a weekly:
> > /etc/cron.weekly/mandb
> > should make it run now, it takes a while.
>
> I tried that, but I still get "nothing appropriate".  Any other
> suggestions?

Brian

You may have fixed the problem, and not recognize it.

If you are getting 'nothing appropriate' that may be the correct
answer. For example, on my system,

elentari:~[1]man -k ls
ls (1)               - list contents of directories
mkls-lR (8)          - Make ls-lR files on FTP server for mirror use
mktexlsr (1)         - create ls-R databases
texhash (1)          - create ls-R databases
elentari:~[1]man -k xxx
xxx: nothing appropriate.
elentari:~[1]

Try that and compare results.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)