Re: help with linux

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, jd wrote:

> hello im hoping you can help me im trying to down load linux and i
> dont no where to start i know you probly have better things to do
> than to help linux dummies but if you can give me any help i would
> be thankfull james ward email tbone@hickor.net

Phil Dyer's suggestion to get a CD is a good one.

Regardless of whether you buy a CD or down load, please go to the
debian web site, www.debian.org, and browse before you do anything
with a CD or to download. You will find huge amounts of information
about Linux, about Debian, HOWTO documents, installation
instructions, literally thousands of packages and archives of this
Debian User mailing list, in fact, archives of all Debian mailing
lists.

When you do ask more questions, please, tell us about your hardware
(make, if any;0 desk top or laptop; the motherboard, its speed; cpu,
its speed; how much RAM; are the disks IDE, SCSI and how big...)
your software (the version of Debian you are using, including the
release number).  Tell exactly what you were doing when your
situation occurred, the package you were installing or using, and
copy the EXACT messages you get.

Mind you these guys are busy, so anything you can do to help
them help you will speed an answer to you.

I have done these these and got good quick useful replies. I have
failed to do them and waited a while before some kind soul finally
took me to task, then helped me fix things.

The Best of Luck to you.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)