network troubles

Greetings:

I recently made a jump from caldera to debian and am in general very happy.
 I am, tho, getting hung up on a few points...

a.  Is there some sort of system configuration tool, like lisa/lizard,
netconfig, etc available for Debian?  I do enjoy editing .conf files and
scripts but a frontend would be a big help considering how much time I
spend looking for the configuration files!

b.  How can I change the system name I came up with during install?  I even
grep'd through /etc and can't find the current system name anywhere.

c.  My old system is set up with ADSL and ipforwarding.  Starting with a
clean slate, I can bring up lo and ping localhost.  I then bring up eth0
with ifconfig, add the local network route, and can't ping in or out of the
system.  ifconfig shows no packet movement.

What I'm getting desperate to do is:

- bring up eth0 and eth1
- set up eth0 with my static ip address and make it the default gateway
- set up eth1 as the local nic

I'm sure I'm missing something simple in some configuration file but I just
can't find it.  If someone could walk me through this, or point me to some
specific documentation (I've read over the NAG and Network HowTo too many
times to count) I'd be eternally grateful!

TIA

Mike