Re: installing apache from source

I thought all you had to do was install (and configure)
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/web/php3_3.0.5-3.deb
to get php3 to work.

On the systems I've used it on, all I did was install it, uncomment the
php3 line from apaches config file, and edit the php3 config file so it
could find the rest of the php3 stuff I'd installed. I haven't tried
php3 on a slink system so I don't know if there is much more to do to
get it to work. Are you saying that doesn't work under slink or is there
a benefit of compiling from scratch?

Anyway, If you mark the package to be Purged instead of removed it'll
remove the config files also. If you're REALLY paranoid about this stuff
you could always make a backup copy of the config files...

Steve.