Re: installing apache from source

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Steve Rothanburg wrote:

> I thought all you had to do was install (and configure)
> ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/web/php3_3.0.5-3.deb
> to get php3 to work.

Could be.  Seems I read somewhere that apache had to be compiled with
php3 support.  I guess slink's apache is.

> On the systems I've used it on, all I did was install it, uncomment the
> php3 line from apaches config file, and edit the php3 config file so it
> could find the rest of the php3 stuff I'd installed. I haven't tried
> php3 on a slink system so I don't know if there is much more to do to
> get it to work. Are you saying that doesn't work under slink or is there
> a benefit of compiling from scratch?

This could very well work, and does, obviously, if you've done it.
As for any benefits, I don't know.

> Anyway, If you mark the package to be Purged instead of removed it'll
> remove the config files also. If you're REALLY paranoid about this stuff
> you could always make a backup copy of the config files...

Yeah, I know purge would remove them, I just wanted to make sure the
'remove' wouldn't.  I don't think a backup will be necessary, I'll
just fetch the php3 package from slink.

Thanks

hypnos              <mailto:hypnos@m-net.arbornet.org>