Segmentation Fault

I have the slink version of debian installed an a second hard drive and it
was working quite well.  At the start of December I recompiled the kernel as
I had added a SCSI device to my system and as the kernel was compiling I got
an error "Segmentation Fault."  These messages are becoming increasingly
more common.  Last night I was looking at going to potato but apt-get update
kept breaking and saying "Segmentation Fault".  This is making my Linux
experience miserable.  I have been reading everything I have but can not
determine if this is a Software or Hardware problem.  Any one else ever had
this.