Re: Login to X Windows System

On Sat, 1 Jan 2000 DRBLONUK@aol.com wrote:

DRBLON >However when I'm in X and choose the exit option I just get an X-Windows
DRBLON >log-in prompt again and the only way of re-booting is then as far as I can

If what your trying to do is go to the console, because of the way XDM
operates(its like an X wrapper, restarts X automatically if/when it
dies) then you have 2 options:

1) swap to the console with CTRL+ALT+F1 key combonation (not reccomended,
it can crash some videocards)
2) go to a shell, become root(if your not already) and kill  the XDM
process, then exit X either gracefully via the window manager, or if your
in a rush or in a pissy mood you can just nuke it by using the
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE key combonation :) that will kill it _real_ fast. but
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE will not kill XDM, only X.

or you could change to another display manager like KDM that allows
reboot/shutdown from the inital display.

if your looking to shutdown and/or reboot from X, just su up and hit
reboot, or type shutdown -h now (halt now) or shutdown -r now (reboot now)

DRBLON >Thanks for your prompt responses and help I have to say I'm genuinely
DRBLON >impressed by the quality of support on this list.

sure, glad to help, if this didnt fully answer your question lemme know

nate