Re: Login to X Windows System

On 1/1/2000 DRBLONUK@aol.com wrote:

However when I'm in X and choose the exit option I just get an X-Windows
log-in prompt again and the only way of re-booting is then as far as I can
tell a cold-boot which forces a check of the drive each time which obviously
slows things down a tad. I know there must be a less rude way to close down .
I'm re-booting back into Windoze quite a bit for the time being so it would
be handy to sort out.

as someone else suggested control alt F1 will get you a console.. you could also switch to wdm which is a xdm fork that has (IMO) a nicer looking login dialog and a menu that includes halt, reboot and exit options which let you shutdown and reboot from the login screen (requiring the root password or optionally any valid user password)

it also has about a hundred less active bugs in the debian bug database ;-)

Ethan