base-passwd seg fault

Hello again
I`ve nearly managed to upgrade cleanly from Slink/2.0.36 to Potato/2.2.13 with only problems of my own making except for one last thing, dselect won`t complete the installation of base-passwd. This is what it tells me:
Okay, I am going to make the necessary updates now
Reading passwd from /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master
Reading group from /usr/share/base-passwd/group.master
Reading passwd from /etc/passwd
Reading shadow from /etc/shadow
Reading group from /etc/group
Adding group "video" (44)
1 changes have been made, rewriting files
Writing passwd-file to /etc/passwd.upwd-write
Replacing "/etc/passwd" with "/etc/passwd.upwd-write"
Writing shadow-file to /etc/shadow.upwd-write
Replacing "/etc/shadow" with "/etc/shadow.upwd-write"
Writing group-file to /etc/group.upwd-write
/var/lib/dpkg/info/base-passwd.postinst: line 57:  1554 Segmentation fault
update-passwd --verbose
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 139
 base-passwd

installation script returned error exit status 100.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Running the update-passwd command just returns a segmentation fault.

Thanks again

Paul

--
Paul Walton                 * Powered by *
Cambridge                * Debian GNU Linux *