Re: Debian -VS- RedHat, again?

"John Gay" <John_Gay@eur.3com.com> wrote:

> I recently picked up PC PLUS magazine, it has great Linux coverage
> this issue.
> StarOffice and Netscape 4.7 for Linux Plus loads of other Linux
> software as
> well. It also has an interview with Colin Fenwick, VP for RedHat
> Europe. I
> almost choked when I read the following quote from him. "There are
> four major
> linux distributors and we are the only one that hasn't added
> proprietary
> extensions." I realise Corel has 'Lizard', but I was wondering if he
> doesn't
> consider Debian to be a major distributor, or what proprietary
> extensions has
> Debian introduced to Linux? I am not Anti-RedHat, I just prefer the
> .deb package
> format to the rpm format. I can't wait to install StarOffice and
> netscape on my
> system, unfortunately they are rpm's : ( If I use alien, will it
> update my menus
> for me? I installed an older version of Netscape using the install
> script
> provided by Netscape, but it didn't update my menu and I have to run
> Netscape by
> hand at the moment. I have a similar problem with Acrobat reader. I've
> read the
> doc's concerning menu's, but right now they are just over my head and
> I don't
> get much time at my system to try to puzzle it out right now. Just
> thought I'd
> share this with you.

I too bought this month's PCPLUS - for those of you outside of Europe
PCPLUS is a British computer mag which covers Linux as well as Windows.
In the UK we now have a new magazine called 'Linux Answers', first issue
was out on 27 October. It came with Corel WordPerfect 8, RedHat 6.0 plus
loads of other Linux software on the free CDROM.

I installed StarOffice 5.1a from the PCPLUS CDROM. If you do 'alien -i
-d /cdrom/linux/starof~1/starof~1.rpm', substituting your path to your
cdrom, you should get a Debian package created and installed. It does
take a long time, so be patient. You will not automatically get a menu
entry created - at least I didn't. Easy enough to do manually, though.

I must say that the 5.1a version of StarOffice is a lot better than 5.0
- faster and more stable.

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)