Re: need HELP /* upgrading */

jack (ifup@yifan.net) wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade the slink to potato.  Got some questions:
>
> 1. glibc2.1 is required for most recent applications.  The version of it
> in slink, i believe, is something 2.0.xx.  So which package should I
> upgrade first?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list:

 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
 deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US potato/non-US main contrib non-free

Type 'apt-get update'.  Type 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  Cross fingers.
Then wait....

> 2. How to search a package by name?  either in installed list or on ftp
> site?

To search the installed list: "dpkg -l '*pattern*'", or
"dpkg -l | grep pattern".

>I am using dselect.

I stopped doing that a while back.

> 3. how to uninstall mozilla?  It just does not work for me.

dpkg --remove mozilla

> 4. how to make a bootable cdrom for potato (unstable release)?

Can't help with that.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | "Truth belongs to everybody."
wooledge@kellnet.com             |   Red Hot Chili Peppers,