Re: Problem running X-Window with SVGA 16bit colors

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Davide Anchisi wrote:

> when trying to start X-Window in 16bit color mode an error message
> appear saying that linear memory is required. What does it mean?
> (I tryed changing resolution but this doesn't solve.)
>
> I've a Tseng Labs ET4000 video card with 1024 kb memory on a 486 with
> 16Mb RAM and 32 Mb Swap.

 Here's a couple excerpts from the ET4000 driver release notes at
"http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/tseng3.html#3":

The SVGA driver for ET4000 chipsets supports all color depths (8, 15, 16,
24 bpp) on most ET4000 chips starting with the ET4000W32i. The ET4000W32
only supports 8bpp. Depending on the RAMDAC and the support code in the
SVGA server, some cards may only support a few of these color depths, or
even only 8bpp.
[...]
Linear memory mode (especially important for some DGA clients, like
xf86quake) is supported on all ET4000W32i and ET4000W32p cards, but not on
the ET4000W32.
[...]
For the higher color depths (16, 24 and 32 bpp), linear memory mode is
REQUIRED.

 I'd check to see if your card is an ET4000W32, or if it's a W32i or W32p.
(It will probably say right on the video chip on the card.) If it's a W32
(like mine), then you're not going to be able to get 16bpp... ever. Sorry.

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles         (248) 377-7735           ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

         Microsoft Windows - Flakey and built to stay that way.