Re: How to clear console before login promtp ?

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Brad wrote:

 :
 : On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Alex V. Toropov wrote:
 :
 : > Is ther any way to clear console window (text mode) before login promt ?
 : >
 : > After comp. starts I see (at tty1) login promt at screen bottom and last
 : > output
 : > of system initialization above it. I'd like to see login prompt at top of
 : > clear screen.
 :
 : This was posted a while back on the list. i forget who or when though...
 :
 :   # mv /etc/issue /etc/issue.old
 :   # clear > /etc/issue
 :   # cat /etc/issue.old >> /etc/issue

Alternate solution:

Install mingetty and edit /etc/inittab to taste.

Benefits - screen is cleared and you save memory.

Personally, I don't know why mingetty isn't the default for VCs.

The other solution works fine too :)

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD