SV: Configuring a monitor (and video card)?

I recently had the same kind of problem (only with a lot crappier hardware).
What I did wrong was choosing relatively conservative values for hsync and
vsync, which X calculated to give me, yes, 320x200. I then thought, what the
heck, i can't use 320x200 for anything anyways; so what have I got to lose.
In xf86config, I set hsync and vsync as high as I could possibly imagine the
card and screen would go, and it worked! now I have 1024x768 in 256 colours
on an ancient 1Mb ET4000-card...
What you could do down this line with your precious new hardware is to set
hsync and vsync very optimistic, and then make sure that X starts up in the
lowest possible res -then cautiously change to a higher res. once you find
the resolutions you want, edit out the obsolete ones in the xf86config-file.

It seems to me that you've got the card sort of right (since your card is
agp, why not go for that?), and maybe you just need to set the right values
for the syncs.
Anyway, please post detailed info on what you put into xf86config, for more
detailed help.
Hope I'm not completely in deep water, being still a relative newbie. If I
am, please ignore me ;-)
hth
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer