Setting up Exim

Allright, maybe this is a stupid question, but I'm stuck:
In X, I open a xterm and type eximconfig. I supply my mailserver's id and
tell it where to put the mail (in the sole user's account: mine!). Not too
difficult, even for a newbie like me.
Now, when I try to get my mail, I run fetchmail (the modem flickers), then
exim, and I get an error something like no mail adresses supplied. How come?
I've set up exim at least 5 times, just to make sure, in and out of X, as
root and as user, rebooted, all to no avail.
What am I doing wrong? To the best of my knowledge, I am setting it up
exactly as the Mail-HOWTO told me.
Clues most welcome :-)
Regards
Vitux

Error is human; complete disaster takes a computer