Re: Configuring a monitor?

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Patrick Olson wrote:

> > Exactly. The power goes off while booting. It has something to do with
> > BIOS settings, I think, (not linux) (PnP BIOS) All the 'Advanced power
> > management...' and so on are 'disabled'. No 'power-saving features are
> > compiled in'. It seems to be the case that if I shut down the machine
> > completely before booting linux it normally works. I think that I just
> > forgot again to stop the machine completely (just rebooted win and hit F8
> > while rebooting to get into DOS. There is win95 installed on the same
> > hd and I'm using 'loadlin'. (It was impossible to get lilo working
> > with this machine.) With win95 the power goes off automaticly, when I stop
> > the os.)
>
> I wouldn't put it past Win95 to try and use APM even though you have it
> turned off in the BIOS.  One thing that might be worth a try is going into
> Control Panel, double click on "Power" and un-check the box next to "Allow
> Windows to manage power use on this computer."  I'm not sure if that would
> help or not, but I don't know what it could hurt.

Hi!

This was probably the trick!

It was very good advice. Thanks!

I didn't really know that there was that kind of box available... I used
win95 quite short time at home, because I installed quite soon linux on it
(after I bought that kind of machine, which could run win95). This machine
(, which is at my working place) has been installed by our
computer-wizard. And he is at holidays.

Probably I'll manage to install the whole slink now a lot easier...

-
hv