printer help

Hi all,

I can't get lpr to work properly. I guess I am just
unexperienced so some hints and advice would be
appreciated.

I have a pretty slim potato setup.
gs-aladdin
lprng
magicfilter
-------------
printcap file:
lp|epson|EPSON STYLUS color 740:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd/epson:\
        :sh:pw#80:pl#72:px#1440:mx#0:\
        :if=/etc/magicfilter/stylus_color_720dpi-filter:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:lf=/var/log/lp-errs:
----------------
printer EPSON STYLUS color 740

when trying to print a .ps file with
lpr some_file.ps I just get lots of form feeds and strange
output after a while

when trying a ordinary text file nothing happens.
The job is in the que for a while but nothing prints.

As root I can print with cat some_file >/dev/lp0

If I do "lpc start" I get
Printer: lp@localhost
lp@localhost: started

What extra info can I give ?